Compression set testing device compliant with ISO 815, ISO 1856, ASTM D395, DIN 53 517 standards.
The device is entirely made of stainless steel, has a usable surface with a diameter of 100 mm and allows adjustment of the distance between the test surfaces between 0 and 20 mm.
The distance adjustment is carried out using a standard thickness meter (optional).
The instrument is optimal for the execution of tests on finished articles because the deformation to be applied to the samples can be set according to its real thickness.
The construction methods of the instrument guarantee the perfect parallelism between the test surfaces (flatness error less than 0.01mm). This feature makes the instrument suitable for testing on O-rings or small-size finished articles.
In any case, the instrument can also be used for tests on standard specimens.
Use of the instrument
To perform a test:
- lock the lower part of the device in a vice
- insert and lock the dial gauge in the hole of the upper plane
- turn the adjusting ring to set the distance between test planes to zero
- set the dial gauge to zero
- measure the thickness of the specimen and calculate the distance between the planes necessary to obtain the required deformation during the test
- adjust the distance between the planes by means of the adjustment ring (the dial gauge shows the real distance between the plates)
- lock the position of the surfaces using the locking ring nut
- remove the dial gauge
- remove the upper table to insert the specimens and close it again
You device is ready! Inserted it in the oven for the required time.
After aging in the oven, you only need to remove the top and measure the final thickness of the specimens.
NOTE: further tests on pieces with the same thickness don't require any additional adjustment.